Friday, December 22, 2006

Yesterday's fog


I miss it. Today's cold, normal for "first day of winter," feels gloomy. Christmas Cheer should abate short-day blahs with twinkling tree lights; however, this is the Christmas of Nonengage.

I don't envy the people, most of them married and accomodating two families' wishes to celebrate together, rushing around from event to event. I have nothing to wrap, and it feels good. I know that there's a certain warmth that comes from giving, but I am too un-Zen to be able to do it without being muddled in the negative elements of gift-deadline, gift-perfectness, gift-budget.

Hard to believe that the holiday commercials will so soon be over. . .giving way to clearance sales and inventory reductions. I spent some money today on us, with money from mom, a one-way gift - everything was on clearance, qualifies as bedding. Beds are important, no?

Sunday, we'll be at a Mass, for the second time this calendar year. The Catholic Christmas of 2004 was a disappointment, so I'm hoping for a more-inspring homily, if I have to be involved in listening to it. Ah, the gift of subjugation. And spending time.

No comments: