Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Windy things

The Kansas City Kite Club was floating fanciful undersea things through the rain-spitting gray by Liberty Memorial.


They got my attention, so I was late to pick up my taxes, froze my fingers and had to hear a guy say "yeah, we fly our balls a lot." Still I'll promote the Flights of Fancy kite festival planned at MCC-Longview on April 21.


There will be 100s of kites, and about 25 of these giant fun things.



Susie Gilson of Olathe, Kan. made some of them, though the main source these days (since KC's kite place, Wind Wizzards, closed a decade or more ago) is Into the Wind.

Thirteen-year-old Elizabeth Gilson, who took fourth place at last year's national kite flying competition, told me that 10 to 15 mph is the right wind speed for good kite-flying. In this region, the season lasts from about April to September.

I think I want to buy a bunch of these and tie them to everything I own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow- those kites are huge! That is so cool. I will bring my family to that event- My kids will love something like that. Looks amazing! Great photos. The event looks like a lot of fun to attend.