Monday, July 09, 2007

Ramen history

1989
When I first ate ramen soup, introduced by a high school friend who was from a large, working class Catholic family who thus struck me as mysterious, I wanted mostly to eat just the noodles.

1991
Once I "discovered" this cheap food, I would bring packages to the cafeteria and munch from the uncooked block, with no seasoning.

1993
Of couse, ramen, at approximately 25¢ a pop, was a convenient food to make in a dorm microwave at college.

1997
In Japan, the ramen shops were by far my least favorite places to eat, though they did demonstrate how it's prepared properly, with plenty of meat, vegetables and unidentifiable bits. (Oh! I get it, ramen is a Japanese word…)

2007
Now, all I want is the salty MSG-water, a few bites of the pasta and some steamed arugula or baby spinach leaves instead.

2 comments:

frog pajamas said...

i never liked ramen or cup o noodles. i was always a kraft mac and cheese girl. i was so happy to see you post a comment. i thought you had disappeared. the NE was pretty crazy on the fourth. i was surprised that it actually died down around midnight or so. a relief to me since i was in bed.
i really hope to see you at the next meet up. i'm not sure when it will be, but i'll bug you about it.

Susan said...

ramen still always reminds me (a) of that fun mom-n-pop ramen place on the way to shodo class in Saga and (b) that incredibly yummy garlic ramen we all had after our sand baths in Ibusuki. you are wondrous, by the way.