Monday, July 16, 2007

Seismic sad

Darn, maybe living in Nihon is not such a good idea.

Niigata got a 6.8 earthquake. And another one within 14 hours.

I'm confused about their not knowing in advance. I thought when you lived on a giant series of volcanoes and faults that your scientists were always going about with their ears to the ground.

I mean, "Skyscrapers swayed in Tokyo, more than 200km (125 miles), from the earthquake's epicentre in the Sea of Japan."

In 2004, an earthquake in the same area killed 65 people; this time, I'm seeing numbers from four to 600. Eight seems to be the current death toll, with 800 or so injured. You know the houses are made of very thin stuff. Living through typhoon season on Kyuushu was stressful enough for me.

In 1995, when a magnitude 7.3 quake came to Kobe, more than 6,400 were killed.

I am at a loss of Nihongo words.

Ganbate doesn't seem to fit.

No comments: