Friday, October 12, 2007

Dark

There is a design flaw in MacBook, that the keyboard does not have a glow feature, so that you can write at night without having to sear out your pupils, shorten your times between visits to the optometrist staring at a screen that's too bright, as dim as it will go, as the stupid instinct - typing teachers of our past would call it a reprehensible habit - to keep glancing down at the keys can't be suppressed.

Actually, I'm doing quite well without the crutch.

There was a time when I could not do numbers or trust where the delete key was without looking.

I want to be asleep.

It should kick in in a couple of hours when I should get up.

Last night, there was little sleep. Too nervous and then too annoyed by the four hours of hovering police helicopters.

It's not nice to complain about something others deal with more frequently.

It's not quite a combat zone, here, yet.

Ten years ago when I was living in Japan, my apartment was adjacent to a military base, and as I am fond of naps and used to be able to take them, I became quite proficient at sleeping with my head between pillows or, in warmer weather, with a finger in my ear.

Last night, nothing worked.

Today, so far there have been a few crashes from the trash trucks emptying their metal containers about town before the legal hour of seven.

Later, should I have time, I will post clishé photos of the grandly-opened Sprint Center (glass fishbowl downtown arena) and point out its design flaws.

1 comment:

Applecart T. said...

when i say "last night," i mean wednesday-to-thursday transition.

and, no, earplugs do not work.