Thursday, August 30, 2007

Oh, now I get it

I'm already well aware that we shop terribly, unlike the family of seven who lives on $35,000 without looking like slobs or being pitiful.

However, a book deal never hurts.

Once I add up rent, insurance, insurance, insurance, fuel/gas/electricity, and medical necessities, there is plenty to go around, but not to cook in a very picky way or go out to eat or to the opera or buy new books and new shoes and such. I haven't weened myself from fashion, even though I am aware also of child labor, toxic cotton growing, overseas shipping, etc.

Also, the Economides family shops once a month for the whole month. I can barely plan a half of a week, and fresh vegetables turn to slime quickly, even ones that have come from only a few miles away as opposed to South America or Califorinia.

Maybe they could skimp less on the hair gel. . .and I am almost tempted to get the book to learn whether or not they have saved anything for retirement and/or college. And how their medical expenses are. How much they lay aside for random, periodic car repairs (that usually run me $400-$800 a pop).

And if they have dreams of shopping sprees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, for pete's sake ... if nudity is the answer that what the heck is the question?

Susan said...

I'm terrible at most of the money-saving things altho I recently consolidated my debt for much less interest so even tho it looks scarier since it's all added up in one place, I know I'm paying way less and hopefully will hack away at it much more quickly... you poor kids with all that car crap - I would be in much the same boat if Hal ever got crunched (knocking wood) I think his blue book price is roughly $6.37 at this point even tho to me he is priceless... I swear they should have a set amount that is just "Basic Transport" like a default amount or something and then have the actual car worth add a percentage to that basic price since so many people have cars that are perfectly able to get them around and would be hugely hard to lose even tho in black & white maybe they have lost all resale value, etc. - you are too funny about the bike commuting - yup those who can't necessarily bike in their professional garb and/or get too sweaty to keep the same clothes on must need re-don new attire at the office... it's a life... and I do consider myself lucky I'm able to do that since I get home in about a quarter the time it would take to drive and I get there w/o any huge traffic-inspired temper tantrums, too!